aying nightly opposite top lines

in News & Regeln 31.05.2019 04:12
von lebaobei123 • 225 Beiträge

SAN DIEGO -- Tony Gwynns sweet swing was matched only by his incandescent smile. The Hall of Famer was saluted at Petco Park on Thursday night in a ceremony that would have made "Mr. Padre" light up. Though, that wasnt something Gwynn had trouble doing. "It was so engaging," former teammate Steve Garvey said of Gwynns grin. "There are a few guys in sports that have it. You always think of Magic (Johnson), and Tony was baseballs Magic as far as that smile was concerned." Gwynn, a Hall of Famer who spent his entire 20-year career with the Padres, died on June 16 from oral cancer, a disease he attributed to years of chewing tobacco. He was 54. The 15-time All Star averaged .338 over a career in which he had 3,141 hits and won eight NL batting titles. A two-sport star at San Diego State before getting selected by the Padres in the third round of the 1981 draft, he was beloved for his achievements on the field and his humility on and off it. Gwynn never hid his affection for San Diego, embracing his "Mr. Padre" nickname and declining to leave San Diego as a free agent on numerous occasions. After retiring from the Padres following the 2001 season, Gwynn became SDSUs baseball coach. Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson and ex-Padre Trevor Hoffman were among the speakers who addressed the crowd of about 20,000 from a stage erected in right field, just in front of the No. 19 carved into the outfield grass. A podium was placed between three No. 19 Gwynn jerseys, two from the Padres World Series appearances in 1984 and 1998 and one from San Diego State. The left-field scoreboard showed a collage of pictures that ranged from Gwynn tipping his hat to the crowd and to him clutching his Hall of Fame plaque. And, of course, one displaying that warm smile. "We all know Tony was a great player, a great Hall of Famer," Jackson said. "That is known when he got 97 per cent of the vote -- that puts him in the top four or five. ... "He was a genuine man, a quality man, a 100 per cent family man. A great son, a great husband, a great father, a great friend and a great teammate. He was an example of what we all want to live and emulate as a person." Thursdays tribute, which started when 19 white doves were released, was open to the public following the private service Gwynns family held Saturday at SDSU. Gwynns fans, many wearing his brown-and-yellow No. 19 jersey, were given a chance to pay their respects to someone they felt they knew. He was an anchor of not only the Padres two World Series teams, but in the community as well. After leaving the Padres, he coached at SDSU, was a member of the Padres broadcasting team and remained active in various charities. A stream of people walked past Gwynns statue in the adjacent Park at the Park, with a line snaking past memorabilia of his storied career. Gwynn, whose No. 19 is retired by the Padres, batted at least .300 in 19 straight seasons. In 1994, he was hitting .394 in August when the season ended prematurely because of the baseball strike; in 1995, he struck out only 15 times in 577 plate appearances. But it was the way Gwynn carried himself that endeared him to countless fans. And not just those in San Diego. Gwynn has been honoured around baseball since his death. Tony Gwynn Jr., his son, was given a standing ovation Tuesday in Philadelphia in his first at-bat with the Phillies since taking a leave following his fathers death. "Even though he was on the other team you still had to admire the way he went about his business," said Joe Torre, an executive vice-president for Major League Baseball and former Yankees manager. "Unfortunately we dont have many, maybe any -- maybe Derek Jeter -- that conduct themselves in a similar fashion. "Honestly, what you saw is what you got: he was a good hitter and never tried to show anybody up." Gwynn became and stayed a star in San Diego. He never thought it would shine brighter elsewhere. "Im a Padre, a San Diego Padre," Gwynn once said. "And Im proud of it." Near the end of the tribute Hoffman, in a halting voice, talked straight to Gwynn, his former Padres teammate. "Thank you for representing San Diego," Hoffman said, "with such class." Lauri Markkanen Jersey .5 million. The 25-year-old Varlamov is thriving under first-year coach and Hall of Fame goaltender Patrick Roy, posting a 26-9-5 record with a 2. Dennis Rodman Jersey . Numbers Game looks into the Wild getting Matt Moulson from Buffalo. The Wild Get: LW Matt Moulson and LW Cody McCormick. http://www.officialbullsfanstore.com/kid...n-bulls-jersey/. Ozuna hit Reeds 2-2 pitch off the batters eye far above the 407-foot sign in straightaway centre. It was the fifth blown save in 25 tries for Reed (1-5) and the ninth home run the closer has allowed in 38 appearances. Nuno, acquired in the deal that sent Brandon McCarthy to the New York Yankees, gave up three hits, struck out a career-high seven and walked one in seven innings. Custom Chicago Bulls Jersey .com) - The Milwaukee Bucks will try to get another win on this homestand Thursday night when they welcome the Utah Jazz to the Bradley Center. Sean Kilpatrick Jersey . -- The Washington Redskins coaching staff distanced itself from other coaches Thursday by siding with ownership -- and not the players -- in the NFLs labour dispute.LONDON, ONT – Paul Ranger hadnt played in an NHL setting of any kind in nearly four years until the Leafs opened their exhibition schedule in London on Sunday night. "It was my first game back really at this level and it went pretty well," said Ranger, who scored the fourth and final goal as his team topped the Flyers 4-3 at Budweiser Gardens. It was a night of firsts in many respects for the Leafs, first in the sense of impressions and opportunity at a training camp that promises its fair share of battles. There was Morgan Rielly in his first audition for a job on the crowded Toronto defence. There was Mason Raymond vying for an NHL gig with waves of speed, bursting past a Philly defender for a shorthanded goal. And there was of course, Ranger playing in his first NHL game (albeit exhibition) since October 2009, the 29-year-old inked to a one-year deal with the club this past summer. "As the game went on I felt more and more comfortable," said Ranger, who admitted the presence of a few nerves before the game. "Mentally you settle down and get more in tune with everything." With a sturdy defensive game, surprising mobility and a high-caliber first pass, Ranger looked the part of an NHL defender, one the Leafs are hopeful will contribute in a significant way this season. The opener marked a good first step. Ten years his junior sits Rielly, the fifth overall selection in 2012 getting his first opportunity to build a case for entry on the NHL roster this fall, a decision that will likely linger until final cuts are made. "I think after I had a chance to get used to the pace and what not I was pretty happy with how it went," said Rielly, paired with Korbinian Holzer initially before shifting alongside Ranger in the third. "Rielly who?" Leafs coach Randy Carlyle quipped, already tired of the daily questions regarding the organizations top prospect. "Obviously he skates, (but) can he continue to do what hes done in Junior at the NHL and I dont know how plainer I can say that." Rielly was joined in his first bit of NHL action by fellow first round pick Frederik Gauthier (2013) as well as the 188th overall selection in 2008 and a dark horse to contribute to the Leafs at some point this season, 23-year-old Andrew MacWilliam. Pegged to start the year with the Marlies, MacWilliam performed with the edge hed become known for at the University of North Dakota, where he served as captain last season. "Its the next level," said MacWilliam of his first professional game, "guys are bigger, guys are faster, but after the first period I felt I got my legs underneath me a little bit and thought I got my skating going and thought I was okay." "Its good to see the young kids get their first taste and thats the most important thing is they understand that this wasnt an NHL game, but it was an exhibition game and theres another level that the league plays to," Carlyle observed. Five Points 1. Reimers first look Also getting a first look on Sunday was James Reimer, who received opening duties against the Flyers, the 26-year-old stopping 14 of 17 shots in 28 minutes of action. "Its getting used to the game situation," said Reimer of expectations for the early portion of the exhibition schedule. "Its getting used to plays in traffic, trying to see the puck, fighting bodies, stuff like that that you cant really replicate anywhere else." Reimer yielded three pucks, the first a point shot that was deflected through traffic, the second a rebound plucked home off another point shot, the third a final point drive that caromed off the end boards and was quickly tapped in. "You dont want to let three goals in a game," said Reimer. "But I felt that I wasnt beat clean and they were all some tough bounces. I was happy with the way I played and felt that I built a lot and accomplished a lot of things I wanted to." Earlier in the day, the Leafs incumbent starter – now challenged for the job – noted the needd to readjust to the speed of game action following an offseason of training.dddddddddddd. "Summer hockey is so slow and guys dont shoot the puck, they hold onto it, pass, pass, pass," explained Reimer. "So even (Saturday) in the scrimmage there was a couple plays where its just quicker than what youre used to. In exhibition its just getting that timing back and being in the right place at the right time." 2. Case for Raymond The first impression for Mason Raymond was generally positive, the Calgary speedster surging for a shorthanded breakaway goal. "Obviously with the type of speed that he has its going to be hard for somebody to catch him and they didnt catch him and he found a way," said Carlyle. Formerly a 25-goal man with the Canucks, Raymond was inked to a professional tryout on the eve of training camp. The 27-year-old could prove an intriguing add if he and the club find a fit. The Leafs lost speed, skill and depth with the offseason departures of Mikhail Grabovski, Clarke MacArthur and Matt Frattin and would be dinged further with any significant injury to their top-six complement (Joffrey Lupul notably has yet to take the ice in training camp, suffering from back spasms). Raymond could help to address that potential weakness. A water-bug who seems to dart from space to space on the ice, Raymond would offer added ability, experience and hints of offence on the wing. 3. Sophomore shot The first extended stint of NHL action had its share of turmoil for Korbinian Holzer, the now 25-year-old defender playing 22 games in 2013, mostly under siege alongside Dion Phaneuf on the Leafs top pair. "It was a good way to learn what it takes to be an everyday player in the NHL," said Holzer of the experience. "I had the opportunity to play (against) the best players in the league for a lot of games and played a lot of minutes. It was a good experience and a good learning curve. I think overall I learned what it takes to be an everyday player." Thrust into duty that was probably beyond his means as a rookie – playing nightly opposite top lines – Holzer learned his fair share and believes the experience will ultimately prove beneficial. "Youve got to be aware every second youre out there," said Holzer of the most prominent lesson from the shortened season. "You cant take one second off. As soon as you step on the ice youve got to be ready and expect the unexpected." Holzer will face an uphill battle to make the roster, competing with the likes of Ranger, Rielly, John-Michael Liles, Mark Fraser, and Petter Granberg. "He should take the experience and look at the positives that he was able to come in and play for our hockey club and he got his feet wet in the NHL," said Carlyle of Holzer. "Now its take the next step." 4. More MacWilliam Carlyle had the inside track on MacWilliam heading into camp because of an old connection from his playing days. Brad Berry, now an assistant coach who runs the defence at North Dakota, played with Carlyle in Winnipeg. "He acquitted very well in his first pro game," said Carlyle. MacWilliam was whistled for a pair of penalties in Sundays action, but proved mobile and a nasty physical presence. 5. Veterans in exhibition While he offers some leniency, Carlyle does have certain expectations of the veterans in his dressing room during the exhibition season. "Its important that they get themselves ready," said Carlyle. "(But) I think the veteran guys get a little bit more room and a little bit of slack from the coaching staff in that perspective." Quote of the Night "As we all know the salary cap world changes things, its a different way of evaluating sometimes when youre forced to make decisions based upon contract amount. Its a new animal in the league and thats the reality of it." -Randy Carlyle on the training camp evaluation process. Up Next The Leafs host the Flyers at the Air Canada Centre on Monday night. Cheap Buffalo Sabres Gear Wholesale Calgary Flames Jerseys Cheap Adidas Colorado Avalanche Jerseys Montreal Canadiens Outlet Store Wholesale New Jersey Devils Jerseys Adidas Arizona Coyotes Jerseys Cheap Adidas Boston Bruins Jerseys Cheap Adidas Carolina Hurricanes Jerseys Chicago Blackhawks Shop Free Shipping Wholesale Columbus Blue Jackets Jerseys Dallas Stars Shop Free Shipping Cheap Adidas Detroit Red Wings Jerseys Anaheim Ducks Jerseys China Wholesale Edmonton Oilers Jerseys Florida Panthers Shop Free Shipping Wholesale Los Angeles Kings Jerseys Minnesota Wild Outlet Store Cheap Adidas Nashville Predators Jerseys Cheap Adidas New York Islanders Jerseys New York Rangers Winter Classic Jerseys Cheap Adidas Ottawa Senators Jerseys Cheap Adidas Philadelphia Flyers Jerseys Wholesale Pittsburgh Penguins Jerseys Cheap Adidas San Jose Sharks Jerseys St. Louis Blues Winter Classic Jerseys Wholesale Tampa Bay Lightning Jerseys Toronto Maple Leafs Outlet Store Vancouver Canucks Outlet Store Cheap Adidas Vegas Golden Knights Jerseys Cheap Adidas Washington Capitals Jerseys Cheap Adidas Winnipeg Jets Jerseys ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3727 Themen und 24546 Beiträge.