led Miami Dolphins on Monday night. Bobby Raineys 1-ya

in News & Regeln 10.07.2019 05:55
von smith bonnie • 565 Beiträge

MONTREAL -- Tournament director Eugene Lapierre called Agnieszka Radwanska the "anti-star," and he meant it in a good way. The right-hander, who won the US$2.44 million womens Rogers Cup with a too-easy 6-4, 6-2 victory over Venus Williams on Sunday, is not flashy on or off the court. She is relentlessly efficient, a tireless returner of balls from the baseline, with subtle changes of speed and spin that wear down vulnerable opponents like Williams, who had worn her 34-year-old self out with a stirring, three-set win over her top-ranked sister Serena Williams in the semifinals. The third-seeded Radwanska, the first Rogers Cup champion from Poland, picked up her first tournament win of the year at the hardcourt event and the $441,000 winners prize. "She played great tennis the whole week, playing and beating a lot of good players on the way to the final," Radwanska said of Williams, a seven-time grand slam champion in her glory years. "I think I am even more happy to beat Venus when shes really on fire." Radwanska, ranked fifth in the world to Williams 26th, posted her first Rogers Cup win after twice reaching the semifinals. It was her first victory since 2013 at Seoul. She was the best, most consistent player all week, mowing down Victoria Azarenka in two sets in the quarter-finals before beating a hot Ekaterina Makarova in two long sets in the semis. "I think I was playing much better every match," the 25-year-old Radwanska said. "I didnt start that well from my first match, but every match was much better. "Thats why I think Im sitting right here now with you (reporters). I was feeling the balls much better." The Krakow, Poland native shot off to a 4-1 lead, but Williams answered with a break that had the centre court crowd on its feet as Radwanska hit a drop shot, Williams dropped back, Radwanska hit a lob and Williams got back in time to win the point with a cross-court slash. Radwanska settled back in to finish the set and opened the second with a service break. After Williams broke to tie it at 2-2, she gave the break to Radwanska with a pair of double faults. Radwanska cruised the rest of the way, punctuating her victory with an ace on match point. Williams had an excellent week that will put her back into the world top-20 starting Monday. Her six matches, four of them in three sets, included wins over sixth-seeded Angelique Kerber and 14th-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro. But beating Radwanska required more energy and patience than she had left for the final. "Against her, you really have to be patient," said Williams. "Today, I just didnt have everything to be patient and really work the point. "I wanted to give more, but I just didnt have it. It felt great to play so well this week. I really would like to think under circumstances, where I could give everything I have, that the results could have been a little different." She fell short in her bid to become the events oldest champion after Martina Navratilova, who won 52 days before her 33rd birthday in 1989. Still, Williams was upbeat about her game, which is on the rebound after a few years of injuries and a battle with the auto-immune disease Sjogrens Syndrome. The five-time Wimbledon champion could even be a factor at the U.S. Open that starts Aug. 25 in New York, where she won in 2000 and 2001. "Its starting to come," she said. "Finding myself in all these different situations where youre playing the world No. 1, youre in the semifinals, youre in a final, Ive done it so many times, but I havent done it in a while. "Im so grateful just for everything. Its a whole new way of looking at things now." That includes not being upset at losing in the final, which earned her $220,000. "This week I was tired because I played so many matches," she added. "Thats great for me. "Instead of unreasonable fatigue thats unconquerable, just the opposite really: a fatigue from too much success. Thats the positive. I ran out of energy because I was winning too many matches. I havent had that problem in a long time." Williams has played the Rogers Cup in alternate years when it is held in Toronto, but had never played it in Montreal. She became a fan favourite and said she fell in love with the tournament and the city, telling centre court fans she hopes to be back many more times. She will be back in the region soon, as she plans to play the lower-level Coupe Banque Nationale Sept. 6-14 in Quebec City. In the doubles final, the top-ranked Italian duo of Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci defeated Cara Black and Sania Mirza 7-6 (4), 6-3. Organizers announced the tournament drew 181,996 spectators, topping the previous high of 175,000. Sales were boosted by the recent success of Eugenie Bouchard, but the Westmont, Que., native lost her first match on Tuesday to Shelby Rogers. Phil Rizzuto Yankees Jersey . -- Having already fallen behind because of the NFL lockout, Blaine Gabbert couldnt afford a lengthy holdout. Dellin Betances Jersey . Raymond, 31, started 15 regular-season games for the Stamps in 2013, racking up 51 tackles. He also returned two kickoffs for 79 yards including a 61-yarder. http://www.yankeesrookiestore.com/Yankee...y/.Commissioner Adam Silver said Wednesday it is inevitable that the league will one day take after European sports and have sponsor names on team jerseys. Gary Sanchez Jersey . LOUIS -- Julius Randle had 19 points and 15 rebounds, Aaron Harrison finished with 18 points and No. Custom New York Yankees Jerseys . LOUIS -- The St.TAMPA, Fla. -- No lead had been safe for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this season. So it was up to the defence to help them get their first win of the season. Rookie Mike Glennon threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to tackle Donald Penn and led a long fourth-quarter TD drive to put the Buccaneers ahead for good in a 22-19 victory over the embattled Miami Dolphins on Monday night. Bobby Raineys 1-yard run capped an 80-yard drive, and the Bucs held on the final 10 minutes to become the last team in the league to win this season. Jacksonville beat Tennessee on Sunday, leaving Tampa Bay (1-8) as the leagues only winless team entering the game. The Bucs held fourth-quarter leads in four of their eight losses, losing each time in the final 89 seconds of regulation or overtime. "It had the same feeling going down the stretch," coach Greg Schiano said after his team won for only the second time in 15 games dating to last season. "But our guys bowed up and made some plays." "It was rough. It was scary, Im not going to lie," linebacker Adam Heyward said, recalling the Bucs blew a 21-point lead before losing at Seattle eight days earlier. "It looked like last week. The guys, like Lavonte (David) and a bunch of us just said were tired of it," Heyward added. "We cant do it again, and everybody just started stepping up and making plays." Playing for the first time since a bullying scandal broke in the Dolphins locker room, Miami (4-5) started slowly before overcoming an early 15-0 deficit to lead 19-15 heading into the fourth quarter. Ryan Tannehill threw touchdown passes of 6 and 19 yards to Rishard Matthews, but got no help from a running game that was limited to just 2 yards rushing. The Bucs sacked Tannehill twice on Miamis final possession before Darrelle Revis intercepted Tannehills fourth-down desperation throw intended for Mike Wallace with 1:35 remaining. "We have good guys on this team who understand adversity and understand how to handle it," Tannehill said. "This is a good test. Im not saying its easy. Im not saying its fun to deal with. But I have faith in these guys." Glennon completed 11 of 21 for 139 yards in his sixth pro start. The third-round draft pick threw his first interception in four games -- a span of 159 attempts -- to set up a third-quarter field goal that put the Dolphins up 19-15. Tannehill finished 27 of 42 for 229 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. The Bucs saluted Hall of Famer Warren Sapp at halftime, retiring his No. 99 jersey and inducting the 1999 NFL defensive player of the year and 2002 Super Bowl champion into the teams Ring of Honor. The Dolphins had not played since Oct. 31, when they beat Cincinnati 22-20 in overtime to stop a four-game skid. Theyve been the talk of the league for the wrong reasons ever since.dddddddddddd The NFL is investigating tackle Jonathan Martins allegations of daily harassment by teammates, including suspended guard Richie Incognito. Martin is with his family in California to undergo counselling for emotional issues, and hell meet later this week with the leagues special investigator to discuss the allegations. The special investigator will determine whether Incognito harassed Martin, and whether the Dolphins mishandled the matter. Owner Stephen Ross broke his silence on the situation during a news conference before the game at Raymond James Stadium. He said he was appalled by the players accusations and plans to meet with Martin on Wednesday at an undisclosed location. "Obviously there was a voice we werent hearing," Ross said, adding he will take an open mind into the meeting and is eager to learn the facts of the case. The owner said he has formed an independent advisory group that includes Tony Dungy, Don Shula, Dan Marino, Jason Taylor and Curtis Martin to review organizational conduct policies and to make recommendations on areas for improvement. "We need to look at ourselves. We have to examine everything internally," Ross said. "This is so appalling to me. I know Im capable of overreacting. I want to get everybodys feedback because we all know the football locker room is a different workplace than most of us are accustomed to. I dont want to make any excuses." With Jacksonville winning on Sunday, the Bucs entered Monday night as the only NFL team yet to win this season. It was apparent from the start that they might be able to change their fortunes against the Dolphins, who spent much of the past week answering questions about the bullying scandal. Glennon finished a nine-play, 76-yard, game-opening drive with his TD pass to Penn, a 6-foot-5, 340-pound tackle who discreetly slipped off the line and was all alone in the end zone. Mike James ran five times for 41 yards on the drive before leaving the game with a broken left ankle. The Bucs built the lead to 15-0 with a pair of field goals by Rian Lindell and a safety before Tannehill got the Dolphins on track in the closing minutes of the second quarter. The second-year quarterback trimmed his teams deficit to 15-7 with his first TD pass to Matthews. The second put Miami ahead 16-15 late in the third quarter. "We moved the ball well through the air, but we didnt have any balance. T

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3727 Themen und 24540 Beiträge.