y in what was a very close fight. "I cant describe what I am

in News & Regeln 17.07.2019 09:54
von smith bonnie • 565 Beiträge

GLENDALE, Ariz. - The Phoenix Coyotes have matched their best start in a dozen years, have one of the NHLs highest-scoring offences, and have shown that no lead is safe. Coach Dave Tippett still isnt happy with the way his team is playing. The goals and wins? Any coach will take those, even a defensive-minded one like Tippett. Its everything else that he is concerned about. "Dont get me wrong. I like winning," he said after the Coyotes beat Edmonton 5-4 on Saturday. "Any time you win, you should have a smile on your face. But what I look at is how were going to win long term. There is just some things in our game that are going to have to improve if were going to win long term." The way the Coyotes won in the past was by playing steady at the blue line and capitalizing when offensive chances came. Thats been Tippetts philosophy since he became a head coach, and what helped Phoenix reach the playoffs three of four years, including a trip to the Western Conference finals in 2011, that it played without an owner. The Coyotes figured to be better offensively this season with the addition of Mike Ribeiro — the top-line centre they had coveted for so long — and have been the first month of the season. Phoenix scored 40 goals in its first 12 games, which was tied for second in the NHL before Sundays games. Because of the scoring, the Coyotes have opened the season 7-3-2 with 16 points, matching the 2009-10 season for best start in the past 12 years. Phoenix has been particularly good at home, earning nine of 10 points. But for the Coyotes to sustain this pace, they will need to tighten up in their own end. Giving up too many good chances and turnovers inside their blue line, the Coyotes have allowed 39 goals, second most in the NHL. Some of it has been coverage, but goalie Mike Smith also has had some shaky moments in the early part of the season, giving up a few soft goals and too many rebounds. Smith, who signed a six-year, $34 million contract to stay in the desert, is 37th in the NHL with a save percentage of .903. He was pulled in a loss to Los Angeles on Thursday after giving up four goals in the first period. "Weve got to be a little better down there," defenceman Keith Yandle said. The Coyotes have shown flashes of their shutdown ability this season, including a 4-1 win over the New York Rangers in the season opener and a 2-1 victory at Philadelphia. The problem is, there have been too many loose games in which Phoenix has either been blown out or had to rally from multiple-goal deficits. Two of the blowouts came at the start of a five-game road trip, when the Coyotes lost 4-1 to San Jose and 6-1 to the Islanders. After a string of solid defensive games, Phoenix came out flat in its own end against the Kings, giving up the four goals in the first period and three more after rallying to tie it. Against Edmonton, the Coyotes allowed the Oilers to rally from a two-goal deficit to take the lead before scoring two goals in the third period to pull out the win. "Our game is not in very good shape," Tippett said. It has certainly been entertaining. Thanks to their newfound, freewheeling style, the Coyotes have filled their schedule with high-scoring games, comebacks and exciting victories. Ribeiro has been one of the catalysts, using his craftiness to score goals and set up his teammates while breathing life into what had once been a stagnant power play. He had a seven-game point streak after a slow start to the season and is tied for the team lead with five goals. Big-bodied Martin Hanzal has been a force in the early part of the season, using his rugged style of play to get in front of the net. A steady two-way player, he has 11 points in 12 games and three goals the past two games. Phoenixs defencemen have chipped in, as well. The Coyotes blue-liners have always been good at jumping into the play, particularly Yandle, and four defencemen scored against the Oilers. That hadnt happened since the franchise moved to the Valley of the Sun in 1996. Thats all great, but Tippett wants more substance to go with some of the flash. "You can be a fun team, but if youre going to just go out there and give away chances and give away four or five goals a night, then you might be entertaining but you wont be winning," Tippett said. Its been working for the Coyotes, so far, but usually doesnt in the long run, which is why Tippett is concerned. Robbie Ray Diamondbacks Jersey . For Sweed, a second round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2008, this will be his second go around in the CFL after previously having spent time with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Matt Andriese Diamondbacks Jersey .com) - The Dallas Mavericks had a five-game winning streak snapped last time out, but theyll try to get back into the winners circle Sunday evening when the Milwaukee Bucks pay a visit to American Airlines Center. http://www.diamondbackssale.com/diamondb...-walker-jersey/. For the Athletics, hes extremely important at the top of the order, especially with Coco Crisp hurting. Jaso drove in three runs Sunday night, helping Scott Kazmir and Oakland beat the Texas Rangers 9-3. Custom Arizona Diamondbacks Jerseys .J. -- Kevin Gilbride retired Thursday as offensive co-ordinator for the New York Giants. Archie Bradley Jersey . PETERSBURG, Fla.QUEBEC -- Welterweight Chad (The Disciple) Laprise won a split decision over Olivier Aubin-Mercier on Wednesday to become the first Canadian winner of the UFCs "Ultimate Fighter" reality TV show. The judges scored it 28-29, 29-28, 30-27 for Laprise, who finished strongly in what was a very close fight. "I cant describe what I am feeling right now. People are asking me what it feels like to be the first winner of The Ultimate Fighter from Canadaa and all I can say is I feel blessed," said Laprise. "Olivier was tough. I knew he would be, hes a southpaw and has a very difficult style to figure out. He is young and will come again. "Right now, I feel so happy right now, so proud. I just had Dana White hand me a TUF finale trophy. I cant describe whats going on in my head." Laprise (9-0) got on his knees in the middle of the cage after the fight. Aubin-Mercier (5-1), seemingly favouring his right foot, hung on to his cornermen. The welterweight and middleweight finals of "The Ultimate Fighter Nations," which pitted Canada against Australian, were all-Canadian affairs after the Aussies were eliminated earlier. Torontos Elias (The Spartan) Theodorou stopped Edmontons Sheldon Westcott via second-round TKO in the middleweight final. After Theodorou (10-0) came into the music of The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Westcott (9-2-1) ran into the arena to Imagine Dragons, almost wiping out as he turned a corner. It was a frantic opening as Westcott looked to take the fight to the ground quickly, hoping to bring his submission game into play. The bigger Theodorou fought him off and started punishing him with knees. Theodorous size and wrestling skills took their toll. He dumped Westcott midway through the second round and hammered him. The referee eventually stepped in to stop the beating at 4:41 Canadian coach Patrick (The Predator) Cote, who fought Australian coach Kyle Noke in a welterweight bout later on the Colisee Pepsi card, was runner-up to Travis Lutter on Season 4 of "The Ultimate Fighter," which featured veteran fighters looking for a second chance. Aubin-Mercier stalked Laprise, who looked to counter from the outside, as he waited for the right moment to try a takedown. Laprise stuffed two attempts in the first round but was cut under the left eye as the crowd chanted his opponents name. Laprise was finally taken down a minute into the second round, to the delight of the crowd. But he quickly got back up. Aubin-Mercier kept coming but never got his ground game going. Laprise denied another takedown to open the third but was bundled down soon after. Again he got back up quickly. Aubin-Mercier connected with kicks as Laprise continued to fight from the counter position. Laprise finished the fight with a flourish of blows. Wednesdays card marked the UFCs first visit to Queebec City.dddddddddddd In addition to being teammates on the show, Laprise and Aubin-Mercier have also trained together at Montreals Tristar Gym, home to former UFC weltwerweight champion Georges St-Pierre. "Theyre both my friends," said GSP. "Both very nice guys." St-Pierre, however, picked Aubin-Mercier to win. The former champion has closer ties to Aubin-Mercier than Laprise -- they have known each other longer, live close to each other and Aubin-Mercier was an important training partner ahead of St-Pierres last fight against Johny Hendricks. Aubin-Mercier, 25, does most of his training at Montreals H2O Gym, A former member of the Canadian judo team, he advanced to the TUF Nations final by beating a pair of Australians: Jake Matthews by decision and Richard Walsh by submission. A native of Windsor, Ont., Laprise now makes his home in London, Ont., and trains mostly out of Adrenaline MMA Training and Fitness. Laprise, 27, won a unanimous decision over Australian Chris Indich before defeating Kayan Johnsons jaw via a brutal knockout to advance to the final. "It was difficult seeing the aftermath with Kajan and his jaw breaking, obviously," said Laprise. But both knew what they had signed up for. "That could easily just as well been me," Laprise said. Johnson returns to the cage in June to face lightweight Tae Hyun Bang at UFC 174 in Vancouver. Like others on the show, which wrapped up filming in December, Laprise was unable to talk about what happened until the episodes aired. "Keeping it a secret for so long was definitely tough," he said. Both Laprise and Aubin-Mercier have spent most of their fight career at lightweight (155 pounds) but competed at welterweight (170) on the show. Laprise normally walks around at 190 pounds. "Im probably one of the biggest lightweights in the division," said the five-foot-10 Laprise. "So me fighting at 170 is actually awesome." Laprise added after the fight: "Id like to drop down to 155 pounds now, Im a little small for 170 pounds. But I will fight anyone the UFC want me to. Im here to fight." Fighting aside, Laprise is a man of faith. After weighing in Tuesday, he donned his trademark large cross to square off with Aubin-Mercier. "I truly believe that God put me here for a reason. And thats to share his light through fighting. Everybody that sees me fight, they know Im a Christian. Hopefully I represent God well." He found religion at the age of 21. "My life has changed dramatically since and Im very grateful for that." Living with 15 other fighters under the same roof with cameras everywhere for six weeks during filming of the TV show was a challenge however. "It was tough, man," he said. "Youre constantly on film, every single day." ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3727 Themen und 24546 Beiträge.