und, same court, but it wasnt to be this time.

in News & Regeln 14.08.2019 09:20
von smith bonnie • 565 Beiträge

Melbourne, Australia- Stan Wawrinka put an end to Novak Djokovics three-year reign at the Australian Open on Tuesday. There will be no Down Under four-peat for Djokovic, as the eighth-seeded Swiss slugger Wawrinka outlasted the second seed 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 9-7 at Melbourne Parks Rod Laver Arena in yet another five-set thriller in their burgeoning rivalry. The intense affair was tied at 5-5 in the fifth set when a rain shower started to fall, forcing a brief stoppage. When the players returned to the court, with Wawrinka serving at 40-15 in the 11th game of the stanza, the sturdy Swiss swatted his 17th ace to grab a 6-5 edge. Five games later, the former world No. 1 Djokovic was serving to stay in the match, but his Swiss counterpart recorded the biggest break of the fortnight on the mens side when Djokovic misfired wide with one final forehand, sending Wawrinka into his first-ever Aussie Open semi and second career major final four. He also appeared in last years U.S. Open semis, only to lose to Djokovic. Tuesdays big-hitting bout was completed in four hours, including a 79-minute, 16-game final set. Wawrinka broke Djokovic five times, while the Serb settled for four breaks in the tough setback. Djokovic actually won eight more points than Wawrinka (161-153), but one more break of serve was the difference on Day 9. "I tried everything. Hes an amazing champion. He never gives up. Im really, really, really, really, really, really happy," Wawrinka said. The 28-year-old Wawrinka had dropped his last 14 matches against the 26-year- old Djokovic, who is now 15-3 lifetime against the Swiss. Wawrinka hadnt beaten him since 2006. Djokovic outlasted Wawrinka in a five-set epic in the fourth round in Melbourne a year ago and also topped the Swiss in a brilliant five-set U.S. Open semi in September. "He deserved this win today. I congratulate him," Djokovic said. "There is nothing I can say. I gave it my best. I gave it all. I tried to fight until the last point, as I did in a very similar match we did last year in the fourth round, same court, but it wasnt to be this time." The six-time Grand Slam champion Djokovic had won his last 25 matches at the Aussie Open, where hed captured three straight and four of the last six championships. The super Serb had also appeared in 14 straight major semifinals before this week, the second-longest streak in history behind only Roger Federer record mark of 23. Djokovics loss on Tuesday marked his first since falling to Rafael Nadal in Septembers U.S. Open final (28-1). He had also won his last 13 matches overall against fellow top-10 players. Djokovic was trying to become the first man in the Open Era to win four straight Aussie crowns. Wawrinka, who had been 2-28 against top-two players, including 0-6 at Grand Slam events, joins Federer as the only Swiss men to reach multiple Grand Slam semifinals. His semifinal opponent on Thursday will be seventh-seeded former Wimbledon runner-up Tomas Berdych, who upset third seed David Ferrer 6-1, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 on Tuesday. The 28-year-old Berdych, like Wawrinka, will now appear in his first-ever Aussie semi. The "Big Four" of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Federer have combined to win 34 of the last 35 Grand Slam events. The 13-time major champion Nadal was the Aussie champ in 2009 and runner-up to Djokovic in 2012; Murray is a three-time runner-up, including last year against Djokovic; and the 17-time Grand Slam king Federer owns four Aussie titles and was the 2009 runner-up here to Nadal. Ivan Provorov Jersey . Forward Iker Muniain scored the winner in the 70th minute after Bilbaos incessant pressure recovered the ball and sparked a counterattack inside Barcelonas half. Neymar was once again tagged to pick up Messis goal-scoring duties, but when he wasnt frustrated by slippery footing Bilbaos defence got the better of him. Dave Schultz Jersey . Its the second of three meetings between these teams this season. Vancouver was a 2-1 winner on home ice December 22nd. http://www.nhlflyersproauthentic.com/cla...key-jersey/.The other side of the Bruins special teams unit delivered in the end.Gregory Campbell netted the game-winner with less than 10 minutes remaining and the Bruins fended off a late four-minute San Jose power play to earn a wild 5-3 win over the Sharks. Bobby Clarke Jersey .A caravan greeted the former Boston Red Sox pitcher at the airport and took him to a public park in Santo Domingo, where a crowd lined a 19-mile stretch of highway to catch a glimpse of him.Once at the park, Martinez went on stage accompanied by players David Ortiz and Robinson Cano as merengue music played and fireworks lit up the sky. Philadelphia Flyers Jerseys . - Diego Fagundez scored his team-leading 13th goal of the season in the 76th minute to lift the Revolution to a 3-2 victory over the Columbus Crew on Saturday night that kept New Englands playoff hopes alive.RICHMOND, Va. - Rookie Kyle Larson will start from the pole position Saturday night in the NASCAR race at Richmond International Raceway after a thunderstorm arrived just in time to wash out qualifying. The field was set based on the fastest laps run in the first practice Friday. The top starting spot comes in just the 13th Sprint Cup Seriies race for Larson.dddddddddddd Larsons top lap of 126.880 mph came on the third of 70 laps in the session. Brad Keselowski will start on the outside of the front row, with Clint Bowyer and Kasey Kahne in the second row. Defending race winner Kevin Harvick will start fifth, and points leader Jeff Gordon will start 25th. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3727 Themen und 24546 Beiträge.