were taking, we had a couple of good chances," E

in Das Team 04.07.2019 05:54
von smith bonnie • 565 Beiträge

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- North Carolina State coach Mark Gottfried said his team had a "golden" opportunity to help its NCAA tournament chances. The Wolfpack didnt squander it, instead sending Jim Boeheim and No. 11 Syracuse to a quick exit from their first Atlantic Coast Conference tournament. T.J. Warren scored 28 points while Ralston Turner banked in the go-ahead 3-pointer with 2:28 left to help N.C. State upset the Orange 66-63 in Fridays quarterfinals, continuing both the Wolfpacks push for the NCAAs and the Oranges downward late-season trend. The seventh-seeded Wolfpack (21-12) blew a 10-point second-half lead but came through with two clutch baskets late to hold off the Orange (27-5) in front of a home-state crowd in Greensboro. It was a huge win for N.C. State, which came into the year picked to finish 10th in the league with a young team and instead finished 9-9. That included one-point losses on last-second baskets to Wake Forest and rival North Carolina, as well as one to Syracuse at the Carrier Dome last month. "I hope that were a legitimate contender," Gottfried said. "Were not the same team that we were in November and December. When you lose 80 per cent of your scoring from a year ago, its going to take a while to figure yourselves out." Now N.C. State has won four straight heading into Saturdays semifinals against No. 7 Duke, marking the third time in three seasons that N.C. State has reached Saturday at the ACC tournament under Gottfried. This win could help Gottfried also make it 3 for 3 with the NCAAs, too. "I think so," Turner said when asked about whether N.C. State should be in, "but thats not up to me." Warren followed Turners tiebreaking 3 with a jumper to make it 64-61, then hit two free throws with 24.6 seconds left to keep the Wolfpack up three. Syracuse had one wild final possession, missing six shots -- including four hurried 3-pointers from Tyler Ennis, Trevor Cooney and C.J. Fair -- to ensure its first ACC tournament would be a one-and-done stop. "I thought the 3s we were taking, we had a couple of good chances," Ennis said, "but they just didnt fall." Ennis scored 15 of his 21 points after halftime for Syracuse, which was unbeaten and ranked No. 1 in the country a month ago but has faded down the stretch. The tournaments No. 2 seed had lost four of six coming into Greensboro, though Boeheim has dismissed the suggestion that his team was in a slump. That talk will probably grow louder with another loss -- Syracuse is 2-5 after a 25-0 start -- heading into the NCAA tournament. Syracuse shot 33 per cent Friday, with leading scorer Fair scoring nine points on 3-for-16 shooting. "Im not concerned about our team," Boeheim said. "I think weve played well all year. I think weve struggled shooting, and I think thats pretty well-documented. But in spite of that, we won 27 games, so Im pretty pleased with what these guys have done, and I believe well be a very good tournament team." Warren, the ACCs leading scorer and player of the year, finished 9 for 21 from the field but hit 10 of 12 free throws and grabbed eight rebounds. "I just wanted to find open spots on the floor," Warren said. "Their zone is so spread out that its easy to find little gaps and little separation. Theyre very athletic so youve really got to think quick to get your shots up." Fifth-year senior Jordan Vandenberg added 10 points for N.C. State, which led 28-25 at halftime then shot 52 per cent after halftime. The Wolfpacks win against reigning champion Miami in Thursdays second round set up the rematch with Syracuse, who was still atop the polls when it edged N.C. State 56-55 on Feb. 15. Syracuse won that after the Wolfpack committed a late turnover that led to Fairs winning layup with 6.7 seconds left. There was also a much-discussed call in which officials waved off a basket from Warren while being fouled with 13.6 seconds left because the foul came before the shot with N.C. State up one. This one came down the stretch just like before, but the Wolfpack didnt let this one get away. "Sometimes those kind of things balance out in life," Gottfried said. "We had the tough one earlier in the year where we didnt finish the game. Today, maybe fate was on our side on that last possession." NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Despite never leading until the end, the Colorado Avalanche got out of Nashville with a win over the Predators. Gabriel Landeskog scored two goals in regulation and then netted the winner in the shootout to lead the Avalanche to a 5-4 victory on Tuesday night. Cody McLeod and Nick Holden also scored for Colorado, which ended a three game losing streak. With the shootout tied 1-1, Landeskog beat goalie Pekka Rinne with a wrist shot from the right side. Roman Josi and Matt Cullen each had two goals for Nashville, which had a two-game winning streak snapped. Nashville has lost six consecutive home games. Josi scored the games first goal at 3:33 of the opening period. After Holden overskated the puck in the neutral zone, Craig Smith carried it into the Avalanche end on the right side and missed wide with a shot from the circle. The rebound came to Josi at the left point, and the Swiss Olympian beat goalie Semyon Varlamov with a slap shot. "I think we started pretty slow," Varlamov said. "The Predators had so many chances to score. We played better in the second and third periods." Josi struck again at 9:49 of the first. Inside the Colorado zone, rookie centre Calle Jarnkrok won a faceoff back to Josi. From the centre of the blue line, he beat Varlamov with a wrist shot, aided by a screen from Gabiel Bourque, who was stationed just in front of the net. Jarnkrok has posted an assist in his first three NHL games. He also scored Nashvilles lone goal in the shootout. Landeskog cut the Nashville lead in half with 54 seconds remaining in the first with a wrist shot from the low slot that beat Rinne on the stick side. "Paul (Stastny) and Nate (MacKinnon) made great plays in the corner to get the puck to me," Landeskog said. "I was alone in the slot and I managed to get my stick out and find an angle to get it far side. I think that was a big one, but at tthe same time we all regrouped in the second and came out hard.dddddddddddd" Until then, Nashville had controlled the first period. The Predators outshot Colorado 13-3 in the opening frame. Nashville finished with a 33-28 shot advantage. "It could have been easily three or four nothing for them after the first period," Colorado coach Patrick Roy said. "Sometimes its nice to win a game when you are not playing well. That was the case tonight." Colorado tied it at 8:41 when an unchecked Landeskog beat Rinne from the high slot for his second goal of the game. The Avalanche captain set a career high with 23 goals. Nashville regained the lead at 14:43 of the second when Cullen beat Varlamov from in tight with a wrist shot high to the short side. "It felt like one of those games where you deserve to win it by the way you played, but you need to give a lot of credit to their team," Cullen said. "They have a lot of dynamic players that can just go out and scored a goal right away. Its unfortunate the way that it ended up, but for a lot of the game, we felt good about things." After McLeod tied it at 12:25 of the third, Cullen and Holden traded goals 44 seconds apart late to force overtime. "On the fourth goal, we carried it through the neutral zone instead of making a real firm play, we just sort of threw it in the middle and they came back and transitioned and threw a puck at the net there that got by Pekka," Nashville coach Barry Trotz said. "We didnt lock it down. We didnt make strong plays when we had those leads." NOTES: Nashville D Seth Jones missed the game with concussion-like symptoms. The rookie was the only Predators player t

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3727 Themen und 24546 Beiträge.