importantly, for this team to win, Ive got to get rig

in Das Team 04.07.2019 05:54
von smith bonnie • 565 Beiträge

PITTSBURGH – Sergio Santos arrived at PNC Park on Saturday afternoon and met with manager John Gibbons, who delivered the news everyone was expecting he would. "Were moving Sergio out of that role," said Gibbons of the closers spot, less than 24 hours after Santos blew his second save of the road trip and third of the season. Until Casey Janssen returns, Gibbons will go with closer-by-committee. "It could be Loup," said Gibbons. "It could be Cecil. Over the next few days it could be any of those guys." The change is necessary and while fans arent about to take pity on a multi-million dollar athlete, Santos struggles are a reminder of the human element of sports. There he was on Friday night, having blown a two-run, ninth inning lead, hunched over at his locker, his head in his hands for what seemed like an eternity. Santos then stood up and addressed the media. Later, once the ballpark lights had dimmed and he was back in his hotel room, Santos sifted through the litany of text messages he gets after each appearance, good or bad. His wife had written him and so had his parents. One of Santos brothers, Gabe, chimed in. He got messages of support from aunts and uncles, too. Like the goal crease in hockey, the pitching mound can be a lonely island when things arent going well. Out on the road, its easy to get lost in your thoughts. "You go to the hotel and that night, the night of the game, its usually the hardest, you know what I mean, that whole night," said Santos. "I mean, you close your eyes and you cant help but think about it. You think about a million different scenarios, what you could have done different." The sun, as they say, always comes up the next day. "The second you wake up the very next day youre presented with, basically, a choice," said Santos. "You could either feel sorry for yourself and say poor me or you could use the next day as an opportunity to know that what happened last night is not who I am." Santos turned to an old teammate and friend for advice. He often plays the online game Words with Friends with Darren Oliver and on Friday night, Santos sent Oliver a message. He wanted to talk. Oliver invited Santos to call on Saturday morning. "He said, Ive been through this a million times. I was in the game for so long. You go through stretches where theyre rough and theyre ugly," said Santos. "He says, its up to you to put a stop to it. They can go on for the whole season or you can nip it in the bud, get that confidence back and go out and pitch." Santos need only look at his numbers for a stark reminder of how bad things have been. Hes taken two losses, has blown three saves and has posted an ERA of 10.61 with a WHIP of 2.250. He insists he wont dwell. "For me, my edge has always been my confidence," said Santos. "Even in the midst of the biggest adversity, confidence, I think, is the one thing thats such a useful tool. So to even lose that, and dont get me wrong doubt creeps into your mind all the time, you get there, youre going, "Crap, is it going to happen all over again today? Whats going to happen? But its so important to just push those thoughts out of your mind." Santos is powerless over his role in the bullpen. He cant disagree with Gibbons decision and he wont. All he can do is wait until Gibbons calls his name again. "My whole thing is to help this team win in any way I can," said Santos. "Whether right now thats me throwing in the seventh, eighth, okay so be it because I know when Im going good I can help this team win. More importantly, for this team to win, Ive got to get right." Tyreek Hill Jersey . He scored two highlight-reel goals in a three-minute span -- the second on a sideways bicycle kick in the 78th minute -- to give the Whitecaps a 2-2 draw with the Portland Timbers before a crowd of 20,303 at B. Mark Fields Jersey . Pistorius mindset when he stood on his stumps in a bathroom and pulled the trigger on his 9 mm pistol in the early hours of Feb. 14, 2013 remains the crux of the South African trial that has captured worldwide attention and is about to start its seventh week of globally televised proceedings. It was initially scheduled to run for three weeks. http://www.cheapchiefsjerseysauthentic.c...e-murphy-jersey. A little more than one year after missing a last-second tip-in that would have given the Wolverines a share of the Big Ten regular-season title, the 6-foot-8 forward scored on a layup with 7. Justin Hamilton Jersey . -- Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew practiced in a limited capacity Friday, a positive sign he might be able to play against the Tennessee Titans. Jimmy Murray Jersey . Dont miss a single shot, live on TSN beginning at 7pm et/4pm pt. Winners of their last eight games, the Heat return to Toronto for the second time in the month of November. After beginning the season 4-3, allowing 100.9 points on 47 per cent shooting, Miamis resurgent defence has vaulted them back to the top of a weak Eastern Conference.DENVER -- Justin Morneau made this perfectly clear: Hes stepping in for Todd Helton, not replacing the longtime Colorado Rockies first baseman. Because filling Heltons cleats, he said, simply cant be done. "(Helton) is irreplaceable, the impact he had in the clubhouse," Morneau said Friday after finalizing a two-year, $12.5 million deal. Morneau realizes the comparisons are inevitable as he inherits the position from Helton, who retired after a 17-year career in the Mile High City. He understands, but "were different people, were different players," he quickly added. They do have one glaring thing in common, though: Their fielding prowess at first base. Since 2003, Morneaus fielding percentage (.996) is second to only Helton (.997). "I dont think anybody will ever fill those shoes in that organization," Morneau said of Helton. "You see how rare it is for someone to play their entire career with one organization and put up the numbers he did throughout his career. His career is Hall of Fame worthy, for sure. "Im going to try and do the things I do well and not really try to replace anyone or be anyone else. Just help this team win ballgames." Over his 11-year career, Morneau is a .277 hitter and a four-time All-Star. He was the 2006 American League MVP while a member of the Minnesota Twins, batting .321 that season with 34 homers and 130 RBIs. Last season, he was traded from the Twins -- the only organization he had ever known -- to the Pittsburgh Pirates for their playoff run. That was an interesting experience. "Just kind of not being settled was completely different. At the same time, it was exciting -- to play in a new league and all the new opponents and all that stuff was fun," Morneau said. And this is another new start for him, with some familiar faces in the clubhouse. Hes reuniting with outfielder Michael Cuddyer, his former teammate in Minnesota. Cuddyer actually played a big role in Morneaus arrival at Coors Field, delivering a pretty effective sales pitch. The two talked and texted quite a bit before Morneau decided to siggn, which meant Cuddyer could stay in right field and not have to move to first base.dddddddddddd Morneau is scheduled to make $5 million in 2014 and $6.75 million in 2015. Theres a $9 million mutual option for the 16 season and a $750,000 buyout if the club declines. He also has some incentive escalators for 2015 should he have 550 or more plate appearances in 2014 ($500,000), finish in the top three in MVP voting ($1.5 million) or become an All-Star ($375,000). While Morneau has yet to discuss with manager Walt Weiss where he will hit in the batting order, this much he does know: The lineup is stacked with sluggers such as Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez and Cuddyer, the reigning NL batting champion. "(Cuddyer) told me great things about the organization, from their desire to win and the desire to take care of players, take care of the guys," Morneau said. "Someone I respect as much as him and plays the game the way he does, you want to (join) guys like that." Cuddyer wasnt the only one Morneau consulted for a little information on the Rockies. He also went to his fellow Canadian and boyhood idol, Larry Walker, asking Walkers opinion of the franchise the outfielder helped put on the baseball map. Walker touted the Rockies so much that they vaulted to the top of Morneaus free-agent list. Now, Morneau is hoping Walker gives him approval to wear No. 33. "To go there and possibly wear his number is something special for me," said Morneau, who grew up in New Westminster, B.C. As for the concussion issues that have plagued him at times in his career, Morneau believes thats a thing of the past. "There was a time there that Id do certain things and wonder if I was going to bring on symptoms," Morneau said. "But now it seems like Im able to get through pretty much any activity without

nach oben springen

Besucher

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 3727 Themen und 24546 Beiträge.